CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 9, 2011

Hyrum's Preschool

Hyrum started preschool last September.  It was a neighborhood preschool in which each of the moms of the kids involved took turns teaching.  There were 6 kids (including one set of twins) so we taught about one out of every 5 weeks.  It was fun and sometimes stressful and I hope a good way for Hyrum to learn about both letters and numbers and such but especially about working in a group and with different teachers.
Here is Hyrum after his first day of preschool.  He came home and wanted to keep practicing writing.  They had been practicing the letter A and he pretty much filled his paper with them.  You can see in the second picture if you look close.

 Here is Hyrum ready to go to the second day of preschool since I forgot to take one before his first day of preschool.

I believe that Hyrum knows how to write all of the letters now (not that they're entirely legible, but he tries) and he knows all of their sounds.  I believe it was a little after we started the preschool that we started reading the Book of Mormon with the kids every night.  We felt that we should do so after hearing an inspiring talk by a friend that I very much admire as a mother and after a challenge to read the Book of Mormon by our stake president.  Adam bought each of the kids their own large set so they could look at the words and see them easily.  We have each of them read  one verse (or repeat the words after us).  From doing this, Hyrum has learned to read a lot of words this year.  It has been a real blessing, and although it isn't always pleasant for everyone I do think it has helped us as a family as well as helping Hyrum learn to read and helping the kids become familiar with the language of the scriptures.

I don't know if I took pictures of any of Hyrum preschool field trips so I'll mention them here.  I went to some but not all of the field trips with them.  They went to a pumpkin patch, the Hill Airforce Base Museum (Hyurm's favorite), Dairy Queen, the fire station, a tour of Dick's Market, and a grandma's house to play on the last day.  Hyrum missed the trip to the Sweet's Candy Factory, but my mom happened to decide to arrange for a tour for us a few months later so we got to do that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment