In August of last year, we drove to Oregon for a family trip with my mom's family. On the way there we stopped for a picnic at a park where there were some very tame squirrels and a woman offering peanuts for the kids to feed them (her son was already feeding them). As a fun side note, I have pictures of myself feeding squirrels in a different park in Oregon when I was younger, too. And they not only ate out of our hands, they climbed right up on our laps.
Our whole group, minus my Great Aunt Marsha and Great Uncle Bob who joined us for a couple of days.
Then we explored the Newport Aquarium with some neat creatures. Annie's favorite were the otters. There were some incredible massive crabs (king crabs) that I wouldn't like to run into outside the aquarium. I wouldn't like to run into these guys either...

We went to Cape Kiwanda to the biggest sand dune in... somewhere. I can't remember exactly. But it was so huge it was practically a mountain. In fact, if we didn't live where we do I might call it a mountain. Hyrum and I and several others went part way up and saw some neat views from one side. But Adam went with my dad, Marie, Matthew and Kate to the top and took some fun pictures. Here they are on their way up.
Jumping on top of the world (massive sand dune that is). Too bad you can't really tell how high they are.
Proof that Adam was there, on the way down.
This was part of the view from where I made it to, on a different side of the sand dune. There was a cave that would make strange noises when the waves crashed in the opening.We had a fire on the beach that evening. We roasted marshmallows and enjoyed the view and each others' company. The fog came in later and added to the atmosphere.


So green and gorgeous!

Later that day we went to Hug Point. There were a few neat little waterfalls with streams running off to the ocean. Hyrum had fun running and jumping over them. I didn't include all the pictures but we have a fun series showing Hyrum getting ready, running as fast as he can, jumping and... as you can see in the last picture of this here... landing in the middle of the stream.



At Hug Point, there are two beaches separated by a rock cliff. Depending on how high the tide is, the water hugs the rock. Or if the tide is right you can walk between the water and the rocks. Or if the timing is like it was when we went, you have to watch the waves and then run along "hugging" (close to) the rock to avoid the frigid water. A few of our group went around to see the other side first, including Hyrum. As we were watching from a distance, we saw all of the adults coming back from the other side. They ran around the rock, missing the water and we wondered, where is Hyrum? A few seconds later (too late) we saw Hyrum running around the rock, perfect timing to get soaked by a wave. If you click on the picture you can see Adam happened to catch the moment.
For the last couple of days we stayed at another lovely house at Rockaway Beach. You can't really see how nice it is in these pictures, but they might help us remember. We had a fun evening in the backyard playing frisbee, sitting around a fire and seeing some bats swoop overhead at dusk.
On the way home we stopped at another favorite destination from my childhood, the Colombia River Gorge. In 8th grade I was supposed to write about the most beautiful place and this is what I wrote about. Again, it is lush green everywhere, but more temperate (warm-- at least in August) and there are amazing waterfalls.


Thank you to Grandma and Grandpa and everyone else for making it happen and making it fun!
I love the pictures of your family and especially the one of just you and Adam. You look so pretty! :) It's fun to see all the neat things you got to do. Lots of beautiful pictures!
ReplyDelete