CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Busy Weekend

I guess I should have called my last post "The nice thing about being sick when you're a kid" or "The nice thing about having sick kids." Although I think I intended to say that being sick makes us slow down and appreciate things we don't usually notice. But anyway...

I feel like I have so much to be thankful for so I felt like I should do another post.

Last week my friend Julia invited me and another friend, Heather, to her place for a craft and treat making day. It was very fun to get together with them again. It really has been ages since I did anything like that just for the fun of it. That is outside of church activities, and I am grateful for those. We made winter bark (think chocolate and peanuts) and shortbread cookies and attempted to make a craft from Martha Stewart's site. It seemed simple enough from the very vague instructions, but we soon decided we needed more time and more materials and it would be best to get together another time to finish it. It was good for some laughs anyway.

The next day was my cousin, Matthew's wedding. It was in Logan and just as we had hoped wouldn't happen it snowed a ton that day and the night before (reminded us of our wedding day). So driving there and back was a little scary. We had a hard time deciding what to do since getting there and back would be a long drive for the kids and the kids couldn't come to the wedding anyway. So eventually we decided that I would go and Adam would stay with the kids. In the end I was just really grateful to be there. It was a beautiful day and the sealer who performed the wedding gave really good advice. It would have been nice to have Adam there, but I figured that I was probably the one that needed to hear the advice anyway. And I was grateful to Adam for taking care of the kids two days in a row (practically all day the second day) so I could see friends and be there for the wedding.
And since I don't have any pictures, here is a picture of the gingerbread (well, graham cracker actually) Logan temple that Matthew made a few weeks ago. We have a tradition of making graham cracker gingerbread houses together every year and some of us (not me in particular) got extra creative this year.

And a picture of Matthew and Kate from the gingerbread house making get together.


Sunday was an eventful day as well. I taught the lesson in Young Womens and I felt it was one of those lessons that I was assigned to teach because I needed to learn from it. It was on encouraging the development of talents and I realized that I have really been neglecting many of my talents lately and I should make time both to develop them and to use them to serve others.

Also on Sunday I was released from my calling in YW and given a new calling in the primary. I am grateful for my calling in Young Women, for the fun and the learning and getting to know the other leaders and the girls. They are all beautiful inside and out. I'll miss spending time with them and having a reason to get out once a week. And I have to admit that I am nervous about managing a class of little kids by myself. But I know the Lord provides help to do what He asks us to do. And there is always a lot to learn and joy to be found in serving in a calling in the church.

And after church my Grandma invited us over for a lovely and yummy dinner. It was a busy and fun weekend. Oh, and I was very grateful that we were all safe driving in the abundance of snow. Oh, and while I was gone to the wedding on Saturday, Adam cleaned the house, vacuumed, etc. And we were worried he might have a hard time... I wish that I were better at cleaning the house, but I am grateful that at least one of us is. And if you read this far here is something funny that this reminded me of: Mr. Mom by Lonestar. Obviously this isn't what happens when Adam takes care of the kids but maybe that is why he thinks its funny.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I should put this comment with this post or the last one...I think that what you said at the beginning of this post about how being sick makes you appreciate what you have that you don't usually notice is very true. I always realize when I'm sick that there are so many things that I take for granted. I think that's one reason we have to be sick sometimes - so we learn to appreciate the many, many things we have that seem so ordinary. It's incredible to think how blessed we really are.

    ReplyDelete