Last November, Adam's parents took the family on a cruise that left from Texas and stopped at a few places in Mexico.
The kids were excited about the sight that greeted us in the airport. Space shuttles were Hyrum's obsession around this time (they still are one of his obsessions). We got to spend a little time before and after visiting Grandma and Grandpa Bosen and Ginger and Marc at their houses, which was very nice. The cruise was over the week of Thanksgiving so we had a Thanksgiving dinner together the night before we left at Ginger's house. It was especially nice since even when we were all eating together on the ship, we couldn't hear people on the other end of the table.
Here we are at dinner in the ship's fancy restaurant on the first night of the cruise. Of course Adam had the camera so he isn't in any of the pictures.
The next day the kids and those adults that wanted to try it out had fun on the water slides on the ship. Hyrum LOVED it. Annie loved it, too. But the wind (it was very windy on the deck) and other activities and circumstances kept us from playing on them again. (Our pictures are mixed up with Ginger's on our computer and I'm not sure who took what so I hope she doesn't mind that I'm using some of hers I am sure. Thanks for sharing, Ginger!)
Later that evening we found a good, quiet spot (except for the music) to do a little dancing with just our family.
I was flattered when this handsome and polite young gentleman asked me to dance. Too bad the picture is blurry. At least it shows the memory.The next day we stopped in Mexico and took a bus to Uxmal. It was my favorite part of the cruise. With my interest in Spanish and Latin America (minor in college), I really enjoyed seeing a some real Mexican towns and countryside far from the boarder. And the Uxmal ruins were amazing. They were really neat anyway, but especially thinking about the fact that they could have been in some way related to Book of Mormon people, maybe even similar to how the Book of Mormon people lived. So here comes a plethora (inside joke...) of pictures. That's easier than trying to pick only a few.
This is inside a huge court yard surrounded by four very long rectangular buildings. It reminded me a lot of a similar setting in "The Testaments." Our guide told us they believe it was a school.
In front of the governor's palace. There were a lot of stairs to get to it as you can see in the next picture.
This was a courtyard where the ancient inhabitants played a ball game in which they tried to get the ball through this hoop without the use of hands or feet (according to our guide). And (according to our guide) the captain of the winning team had the privilege of becoming a human sacrifice.
Since this is becoming quite long and I still have quite a bit more to write, I think I'll publish this now and continue it soon. More to come...
No comments:
Post a Comment