CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Our Last 2 Weeks of Summer

We have had a busy few weeks.  I don’t have a lot of fun pictures from everything, but I wanted to write down what we have been up to the last few weeks before I forget.  I will start with a post about our busiest days of our last 2 weeks of summer.

The day after Hyrum lost his tooth (Monday), Adam left on a business trip and came back on Thursday, although he still had to work more that day and Friday.  The day after he left, we went with my mom, Aunt Merikay, Carina and Aria to Thanksgiving Point Children’s Gardens.  My camera’s battery was dead so I didn’t get any pictures.  We stayed for less than 2 hours, but it was plenty of time to have fun without wearing ourselves out.  The Noah’s Ark water feature was a favorite again, as was the little stream with “boats” the kids can float down and then run back and do it again.  After that we thought it would be fun to go to IKEA for lunch since we were so close.  As it turns out, it was Tuesday which meant free lunch for kids which meant a CRAZY long line.  I think the wait was probably about 45 minutes.  But we traded off standing in line as much as we could.  And the timing worked out well because the kids really wanted to try out their play area (sort of babysitting while parents shop).  We had never tried anything of the sort before but there was a waiting list and a limit of one hour.  So, when we were done with lunch it was their turn.  It was so super weird to leave them there with someone I don’t even know.  But they gave me a pager in case they needed me before the hour was up…  They had fun but Annie told me she was done before their time was up.  Hyrum loved the ball pit, something I haven’t seen in forever (a ball pit that is).  After that I drove home, had a super fast dinner and then went to Marie’s house for a few hours to help with Jonathon.  Busy day!DSC_1082Jonathon sleeping at Grandma’s house the next day

Also on that same day, we worked in some time at a park and nearby school playground before dinner.  I didn’t remember that this was the same day, but the date on these pictures is that day.  That was kind of  crazy of me.DSC_1069Hyrum found Utah and Annie found Texas.DSC_1072

That weekend we repaid a long standing favor for Carina and David and watched Aria for them while they went for a short overnighter.  We got to their house at dinner time and they got back about lunch time the next day.  Aria did quite well and she was just adorable.  I would be so incredibly happy if any future children of ours go to bed that easily, especially for someone else, at her age.  And she was just cute anyway.  Annie had trouble falling asleep so I was on the couch with her until after 10 (no she doesn’t usually have trouble falling asleep now, it was just being away from home).  I didn’t get a good night’s sleep for various reasons, but it was only one night and I was glad Carina and David could get away for at least one night before their next baby comes.  They watched Hyrum and Annie for us one night before Aria was born.

DSC_1090

Here is Aria having breakfast in her pajamas and having fun with Hyrum.  The kids had so much fun together.  It is so fun to see them have a good time together and get excited to see each other, especially to see how excited Aria gets.

DSC_1106

We stopped at RC Willey on the way home to look at couches but didn’t end up buying anything.  They had free hot dogs, though.  That weekend was stake conference so I also went to an uplifting church meeting that night and the next day (the rest of the family came the next day).

The next week, I finally consented to give Hyrum his end of summer party.  I had intended to give him a water party all summer, partly because I didn’t give him a real party for his birthday in the dead of winter (not that this was a birthday party).  We finally made it happen.  We made and delivered invitations that Monday.  The next day I planned and shopped for it (and other things).  And the day after that, we had the party in the afternoon.  Adam wasn’t able to be there so thankfully my mom came and helped me out.  It would not have worked without her.  We had a total of 10 kids.  I was surprised that all the kids we invited came on such short notice.  We  had a rubbery ducky relay race, a sponge race (fun to watch—they had to put the sponge on their head), a bubble pie race, tossing water balloons, water balloon spoon race, a water gun fight and a home made (short) slippery slide (made from an old shower curtain).  It got pretty crazy at times, but with my moms help, it was fun and it worked out.  My mom had the great idea of promising the child who picked up the most water balloon pieces an extra popsicle.  It worked perfectly, aside from the part where Hyrum was upset that someone got an extra popsicle and it wasn’t him (he was gone getting the popsicles during the clean up race).  Two of the kids had to leave early before I took these pictures.SANY0080SANY0083

The next day I made fortune cookies, which was really frustrating.   The first thing is you can only cook 2 or 3 at a time unless you have a lot of experience because they cool very quickly and have to be shaped while they are still warm.  I would recommend not attempting to make them unless you have been shown how to shape the cookies.  Maybe most people’s brains are more spatially/visually oriented, but I totally got it wrong until I watched a youtube video about it right before my last cookie (I made a relatively small batch).  So one cookie turned out mostly right.

No comments:

Post a Comment